As a Linux user, how do you master using the many commands available in Linux?

Hello members

There are countless number of commands in Unix/GNU Linux and storing them in the brain is not an easy thing to do.
A friend of mine who is a new Linux user asked me how he can be able to know, understand and use many of these commands for running a Linux system.
I would like to refer this to the users of LinuxSay so that we can help guide new Linux users on how to best learn how to use, memorize and remember thousands of commands in Linux.

We have plenty of articles, referrals available online. All the above, the one and only way is “Use, Use, Use” :smile:

Only the way is going through the articles and “practice, practice, practice :computer:

Practice makes a linux user perfect :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes i agree, constant practice always helps one understand how command options and arguments are used.
Viewing manual entries, help pages and online resources as you guys have said.

If you need some particular commands and you don’t remember it
you can use apropos or “man -k” command and search needed commands…

My advise to remove / uninstall any available desktop from your Linux machine and then use Linux, believe me you will be expert of commands instantly. :smile:

In my opinion, it should not feasible. Newbie need to practice, practice, practice. They will be hacked brain :smiley:

man your_command
your_command --help
google

-Tiến

Hi… Coming from a newbie… I find I learn the most by trying… breaking… then resolving/repairing those issues. I do this by running Linux as my primary OS then run a VM (virtual machine) instance of the same OS. Try anything you want in the VM, master it there then apply it. This does 2 things… First, it keeps my day to day OS available for daily work & second, by doing the same thing twice, you get to understand how & why the resolution works. Party On!

I initially agree with most of the posts here, there’s nothing that can beat experience, and the only way to get that?..is to install, experiment, break, fix, delete, start again and continuously perform these steps until you become proficient enough to be good enough to hold your own on an “employee” level