LinuxSay - A Discussion Forum for Linux Enthusiasts

Does Linux run much faster than Windows?

Hi, My name is Anusha and I am a Windows User, but since last 6 months I’ve started working on Linux (Linux Mint 17) for my daily routine works, what impressed me is that Linux boots very quickly, launches applications much faster (Google Chrome, Gimp, Ecipse, etc…), and best thing Linux never hangs like Windows does.

I really amazed with Linux OS and I must say that Linux is more responsive than Windows, whereas Windows tends to slow down after installing certain applications on it, but Linux doesn’t and the worst thing about Windows is during startup and shutdown the blue screen of death always comes up with “Updates”, where I need to wait till all updates are applied, but Linux doesn’t show such updates during startup or shutdown. but what if i want to update Linux, how do it? and also before completely switching to Linux.

I really like to know few more strong reasons that why Linux is much better and faster than Windows?

Unable to install any packages in manjaro linux -PGP Signature error

Hi @anusha

As a die-hard Linux user I really cannot be objective - sorry! Three years ago I married Linux “till death do us part.” Period.

However, for the sake of objectivity, here are a couple of articles you might like to read. I think they analyze the questions “Linux vs Windows” in depth and give one a decent description of where Linux excels Windows and vice versa.

As for the questions of speed - no doubt Linux is much faster though you can bloat it too. It all depends on what you install and what services you enable at the startup.

I use Linux Mint too, and it works flawlessly. However, I mostly run Arch and you can go with the minimal install with some window manager and some compositor etc - keeping it absolutely minimal. In such cases your Linux distro will be “faster than light” even on older hardware.

My Arch boots in less than 20 seconds and I even don’t use SSD on my laptop - just good old HDD.

To update your Mint open your terminal and run this command: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade. (There are some others but this is enough for now.) Of course, you can always use your update manager (graphical) so you don’t need to bother typing commands.

Best wishes

You can update linux mint using update-manager or terminal
by typing following commands
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

[quote=“anusha, post:1, topic:341”]
why Linux is much better and faster than Windows?
[/quote]http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-things-linux-does-better-than-windows/

@BrankoTesla

Thanks for taking time to reply to the question, I hope @anusha will like it.

@BrankoTesla

I am not a die-hard fan like you, but i just started using Linux Mint for my daily routine work and thanks for the links will go through it and share my experience.

The update process seems complex, actually I still haven’t played with terminal and don’t know yet…but will try to run those commands and see how it works…

Thanks @Raja_Tirupur, do I need to run those two commands as suggested by @BrankoTesla ? and what does sudo do?

@anusha
Of course you don’ t have to use my way via temrinal. Raja is absolutely right. You can do it just like that. But you really dob’t need to use terminal if you don’ feel comfortable with it. Actually, there are very few things you need to do via terminal. The advantage of desktop environment is that you can do almost everything using graphical interface.

As for the apt-get commands you can use both ways desribed in this thread. “sudo” stands for “super user do”. There are some commands that can only be executed as
sudo via the terminal.

Off topic:

Sorry for the typos - you know what it’s like when typing on the phone. :smiley:

I’ve never used Mint, but I would assume the update process to be very similar to Ubuntu (since it is based on it). The following is valid for Ubuntu.

There are two ways of updating your system. Either via the terminal with the command ‘sudo apt-get upgrade’, or via the included GUI tool ‘Software Update’.

Never an update will require you to reboot your system, but it may not apply the update until you do so. But there is no concept of ‘applying updates’ (as in Windows Updates anyway), you reboot as normal and thats it, no longer wait times at all.

The GUI tool may actualy say you will need to reboot for the update to take effect, but will not force you to (it may insist thought…).

Big adavantage of linux over windows, i dont have to worry about viruses or malware like one does in windows. I sometimes help windows guys remove those undeletable files in linux

Thanks to all users for taking to reply my silly question. Now I came to know that Linux is much faster and stable operating system as compared to Windows, the only problem is command-line, which I need to start learning basic commands for my daily tasks…thanks again…

No silly questions in Linux community @anusha
You’re always welcome to ask anything. :smiley:

LinuxMInt 17 is a pretty fast and stable distro. I used to dual boot with Windows 8 and Mint 17. There are few things to notice:

• Boot time on Windows is much faster - (this is not something important in my opinion, but partially answers your question)

• Browsers appear to work much better on LinuxMint. From what I have seen when using Chrome or Firefox with WIndows, your computer starts heating up. This event does not appear on LinuxMint – not sure if coincidence - but was important to me.

• The update process is easy on both machines. On Mint appears to be faster and is performed per user confirmatoin, while in most cases Windows applies the updates without your confirmation even though explicitly configured not to. This is a huge problem in my opinion. So +1 point for LInux.

The only cons that I can think for Linux is that some software that is still missing for it (compared to windows), but there are good alternatives. The problem is that much of the time you may need to spend searching the right software if it is not in the software marked of your Linux distro.

Either way, Linux is the way to go.

Hmmm, I haven’t had this experience with Win7. Mint booted up on my system way faster than Widows (When I wad dualbooting with WIN7).But I don’t have any experience with WIN8 so I’m not the most relevant person to say.

I have been using Linux since around 2003 / 2004. I started with Fedora Linux, and it’s still my favorite! I’ve only recently installed Ubuntu and openSuSE on two other machines and can say they’re actually pretty good. I also have Linux Mint on a laptop and it’s PERFECT as an OS.
So to start off, I discovered Linux when I was suffering with the SEVENTH re-install of Windows XP on my machine. I was fed up and started looking for alternatives. Apple products were just ridiculously expensive, (for no apparent reason if you ask me!) and I wasn’t going to do Windows again, so I started looking into alternative computer operating systems. I stumbled upon DistroWatch and was intrigued with the sheer number of OS’es out there! I decided to try Fedora, which in hindsight might not have been the best one to “start off” with, but it taught me a LOT about the mistakes and errors people can sometimes make when installing or configuring Linux that for sure! (I had to scrap the current installation and do it all over again about 4 times!) but once I got the basics and fundamentals down, well now I can at least say that even though I’m not a SysAdmin…i can hold my own when using…installing or configuring Linux. (Can you believe I’ve been using it this long and I STILL can’t write a “cron” job to start the updates on my Linux Mint machine!..). But to move on, I think one of the reasons why Linux is a faster OS is because it doesn’t require a lot of resources to perform some of its tasks. I mean if you’re using it for Hi-definition photo and video editing, and you only have 4GB of RAM, you might notice it’s not that fast, but for everyday “general” computer usage? that setup would be fine, even if you were using a P4. My Mum has a Dell Inspiron Laptop from around 2011, its got 4GB of RAM, a 320GB HDD and an Intel i-3 processor, its running the Linux Mint distro with the MATE desktop and its fast, and doesn’t ever get bogged down with slowness, even when she’s in the midst of writing up a recipe using LibreOffice, listening to streaming jazz and gospel, and checking her emails periodically. Trying to do these same tasks on the same machine with Windows? there’s a definite noticeable performance decrease. How do I know?..because this machine originally came with Windows 7 and it because sluggish, bogged down with pop ups…even though she had McAfee AV on there, and Ad-Aware. After I saved all of her stuff and installed Linux Mint on there, she’s not had a complaint since then and we’re going on almost four year now~! I imagine that when that HDD gives out I’ll just buy her a 1TB one …install Linux Mint on it and let it go for another four years!

It seems you are die-hard fan of Linux, as I can see you’ve shared your whole journey of Linux story…:slight_smile:

@BrankoTesla Windows 7 is indeed much slower. However one of the main things that Microsoft used to advertise of windows 8 is how fast it boots. But does it really matter if your PC boots fast and start lagging afterwards? For me it is important that the PC works without any issues and sudden errors. Right now I work with three computers, my main one is a mac, secondary a lenovo with Mint 17 on it and CentOS desktop in the office. I am not including the servers I work with :smile:

@LinuxGuy

:smile: exactly what happened to me (much more than seven I admit :blush:)

[quote=“LinuxGuy, post:15, topic:341”]
I decided to try Fedora, which in hindsight might not have been the best one to “start off” with, but it taught me a LOT about the mistakes and errors people can sometimes make when installing or configuring Linux [/quote]
This is why I decided to start with Arch. :smile:

Your nick sounds familiar…Do you run a website? blog? or just a FB group, page? I must have seen this somewhere…

Hi @MarinT

Thanks for the reply. I know some people who use Macs here, but they are (as @LinuxGuy said) rediculously expensive, especially in a country where you need five monthly sallaries to buy a lower-end (or secon-hand) Mac. But please don’t understand my post as treating Mac users as elitistic or rich-something… Not at all. I respect everyone’s choice. In those days when I was using Windows (and when I was oblivious of Linux) if I had had enough money I would have most certainly go for a Mac - more than any Windows box.

But that wasn’t the case, and I’m happy for that. But I must admit that I still use Windows. At home. I have an ancient all-in-one printer (Canon MF 3220). And there are no Linux drivers for it. So I installed XP in Virtualbox solely for the purpose of printing things.

So to sum up, no matter how die-hard Linux users we might be, there are always situations where we cannot avoid winbloze. But, hopefully, not for too long… :wink:

@BrankoTesla I agree with you. There is always a situation when you may need different software to do the job. My believe is that you should not be a die hard fan of anything. The purpose of machines is to help you do your job. I use mac just because it helps me do my job faster. However I use a windows phone (which I have to say works pretty good). For home media I use OpenElec, my tablet is Android because of the software I can use on it. Basically what I am trying to say is that you should purchase your hardware based on your needs, not based on what you like more Linux, android, windows or apple. Time will come you will need each of them in certain point.