How to create a bootable usb drive from terminal

Hi guys

i want to create a bootable USB drive from the command line, i have tried many tutorials but still i get errors.
Can someone help me with a tested idea on how to create one.
Please i need ideas concerning the terminal not GUI software

Hi, what distro are you trying to create. Let me know then I will do an install and do a step by step rundown for you if that would help.

Thank you. Am using Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit.

I am not using Ubuntu but are downloading to do a replication install for you. I will revert once complete.

That is nice of you. Waiting :yum:

I have downloaded ubuntu-14.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso and created a boot-able stick with the following command from the terminal:

Firstly determine your usb stick drive letter with the following command:

fdisk -l

This will give you a different drive letters. Locate your stick and check the drive letter.

Then use the following:

dd bs=4M if=(ENTER PATH TO YOUR)/ubuntu.iso of=/dev/sd(ENTER YOUR DRIVE (stick) LETTER HERE)

dd = convert & copy file

bs= bytes

of = File

Below is the command I used:
dd bs=4M if=/home /tutorial/Downloads/ubuntu-14.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso of=/dev/sde

I am currently running on the Ubuntu that boot from the stick.

Please make very sure the path to your iso is correct as well as the drive letter otherwise it will not work.

I hope this helps.

Thanks so much let me try it out and i will give you feedback.

This is the output of the command, but the usb disk is still not bootable.

The output of the creation looks correct as far as I can see. It should boot witjout a problem.

Please ensure that your pc is set to boot from usb hdd.(it may however depend on your hardware/ bios settings). If not it will not boot any distro from a stick.

Please read the following:

Ensure that your boot settings are correct !, as I am convinced that that is where you problem is and not the stick unless you are writing to the wrong disk.

If the problem continues try and boot another machine after ensuring that the boot settings are correct.

dd if=/image-path/Parrot.iso of=/dev/sdb

What error are you getting - Or what is happening ? What is the output of - fdisk -l ?

I do believe we are both getting the “An uncaught exception was raised: Invalid version strings ‘gnu/linux’” error. It happens when you use Ubuntus default writer.
Can any one help me out with fixing the error

change /dev/sdb1 to /dev/sdb

sdb1 does not start from block zero of flash memory

thanks for the recommendation, will try it later and see if it works. may i ask you some other questions in case i would have some? thanks!

Interesting question as for me, nothing to add