Why did Debian switch to systemd and what is the future of the distribution?

First off, let me say I’m a die-hard Debian fan. It is the distribution I started off with as a Linux sysadmin so I am very fond with it.

However, the project’s decision to move to systemd without actually involving the community has disappointed me a little.

Bottom line is, what has been your experience using Debian Jessie stable with systemd? What do you think is the future for this great distribution?

Systemd is much faster compared to init, but I agree that I find it a little bit harder to operate with systemd. I think that since all distros including CentOS/RHEL are moving to systemd, it is a good thing that Debian is keeping up with the latest trends. Probably this evil is for good :smiley:

From your post I think you don’t like systemd, why?

I don’t know why Systemd is disliked so much?
I have always remained a fan of Debian and Gentoo GNU/Linux.
Gentoo lets you build my system with OpenRC. but what next?
Latest Gnome (Gnome3) and KDE needs Systemd. and hence Gentoo provides you with Systemd along with OpenRC (though not compulsory, if you need basic Gentoo system). Every other distribution (Except Slack, i don’t know if slack accepted Systemd or not till now) accepted Systemd sooner or later.

My point is - if you want to move along with the Linux Ecosystem, Systemd must be in your list. Sometimes change is good!

p.s: I have used init, OpenRC, Systemd and Upstart and I must admit Systemd is one of the best System Management Suite available.

Guys,

I believe you kind of misunderstood the point of my question. It is NOT that I don’t like systemd (in fact, I have several CentOS 7 / RHEL 7 boxes and I’m perfectly fine with that).

What I feel a little upset about is that the Debian project switched to systemd without involving the community in the decision. It was like, “We are going to do this whether you like it or not”, and that’s what I feel upset about.

With CentOS and RHEL is a different story since they got systemd from Fedora, not because they deliberately chose so. (Kind of what happens with Ubuntu - Mark Shuttleworth announced that they were dropping upstart in favor of systemd because Debian was doing the same thing).

That said, I appreciate you taking the time to reply to this post, which I believe will be a nice source of information for other users wondering the same thing.

As for myself, I don’t see anything wrong with systemd, I guess its because I don’t quite understand what the problem is? I know it’s the opposite of the Linux philosophy of making or configuring one thing to DO just one thing, but to do that one thing WELL! And whilst there are probably thousands of Linux users who feel this robs them of the ability to tinker with the init.d stuff, for me I see it in the light that, since I don’t tinker with that stuff to begin with, then its not a deal-breaker for me regarding using Linux. But the decision for the Debian project to switch to systemd without necessarily informing the entire Debian community user-base, isn’t so much a dictatorial move, at least not in my opinion. But then again, since I don’t know all the particulars about why or how the decision was made, maybe I shouldn’t proffer my opinion.! LoL!