LinuxSay - A Discussion Forum for Linux Enthusiasts

10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 17.2

Swapnil Bhartiya shared 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 17.2:

https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/839277-10-things-to-do-after-installing-linux-mint-172

Some very useful advice. However, some people in the discussion below have different opinions (mostly regarding using proprietary software). Do you have anything to add to Swapnil’s list?

1 Like

@BrankoTesla

So many things missing in the list, like he haven’t showed how to add Multimedia Support, Image Editing Support, Chat Applications, Torrent Emulator Wine or PlayonLinux, Gnome Tweak Tool, etc.

By default, Linux Mint comes with a minimal support for these applications. In order to achieve these applications, you need install multimedia applications like:

Media Applications:
VLC
Smplayer
Audacious
XBMC

Image Applications:
Gimp
Pinta
Digikam

Chat Applications
Pidgin
Telegram

Windows Emulators

Wine
PlayoneLinux

1 Like

Downgrade back to 17.1, it’s much more stable. 17.1 upgrade messed up some of my settings, such as cupfreq, where I could adjust from the bottom of the scale all the way to the top at 3.9GHz (Turbo Mode), as well as powersave, ondemand, performance & conservative. 17.2 wiped out all options other than performance & powersave.

I believe that 17.2 was rushed a bit, could have done more testing before release. Will likely stick with 17.1 until Mint 18 is released next year.

1 Like

That’s much better now @ravisaive. Quite exhaustive list. Of course, everyone can find what they need in the repositories.

@catilley1092

Hmm, I haven’t had problems with stability (unlike Ubuntu) so far. Works flawlessly on my machine. Do you want to say that you upgraded from 17.1 to 17.2? I’ve never been a fan of upgrading Ubuntu or Mint. I’ve never had satisfactory results - just like you say. I like to back up my data and settings, and do a fresh install.

Yes, I upgraded to 17.2, because like with 17.1, I felt there would be no issues. The base 17.1 install had just recently been clean installed after recycling the same /home partition since Mint 12. Needless to say, there was a lot of junk in there that needed cleaning up, there’s much more on that partition that the user’s ‘home’ folders.

True, a clean install is always best, and had I not just performed a whole one just a couple of weeks before upgrade, would have done so. I’ll certainly perform a full clean install from here on out with every major release, like with Mint 18 next year. Will try a clean install on another computer & see how it goes.

Anyone with Samsung 840 EVO SSD’s, watch out for those ‘speed me up’ tips, especially when it comes to adding fstrim /v & fstrim /v home to the text file, these will often leave the OS in an unbootable state (post required reboot) & may cause excessive wear & tear on the drive behind the scenes while trying to figure out what’s going on.

Just giving users some heads up. Linux Mint 17 is SSD ready, maybe adjust the swappiness to 5 or 1, disable hibernation & let the rest of the tricks go on these drives. At any rate, both sudo fstrim /v & sudo fstrim /v home can be performed manually from the Terminal w/out having to add risky commands that runs at every boot.

And don’t forget about the Firewall, to enable, open the Terminal, type or copy/paste w/out the quotes ‘sudo ufw enable’. Your password will be asked for & no movement will be seen. Once activated, it’ll say that ‘Firewall is enable & active at Startup’

Cat

Thanks @catilley1092,

This was very useful. You just reminded me that I haven’t enabled uvf on my latest Arch install. :+1:

And don’t forget to put on the firewall with this commandline.

$ sudo ufw enable 

Control with this:

$ sudo ufw status verbose 

stop with this:

$ sudo ufw disable

Thanks @infogorbu

And there are more details in this article: http://www.tecmint.com/how-to-install-and-configure-ufw-firewall/

Good evening Guys,
Recently I have installed Mint 17.2 and I cannot access it thru ultraVNC.
Could you help, please?
Thank you and Best Regards,

What is mentioned in that list by Swapnil is good enough to get the basic OS ready. Beyond that every user has his / her own requirement and liking. We can not bloat up our OS by advising people to install N number of software. That will turn Mint to Windows. For example there are many who will never need a windows emulator. BTW I think Mint comes with VLC and GIMP.

@matrix

That’s why I love minimal instals. Both Ubuntu and Mint are great because they come with a bunch of pre-installed software out of the box. This is great because we can start using them immediately. And even if we don’t have something, we can install it from software centre in no time. This suits most of average users.

But I don’t like that. I like to choose my software and it’s version. I’d like to see Mint with a minimal install (only DE) so that users can install anything they need from the repos.