LinuxSay - A Discussion Forum for Linux Enthusiasts

GParted creating Bios grub, during save, automatically changed File system from Unformatted to NTFS

Linux Mint 17 “Qiana” Released – Installation Guide with Screenshots & Features
First THANKYOU for the clean, concise and accurate procedures presented here. Im a former 90s/ early Y2K (remember that?) IT guy, Computer Consultant in the day. Fell asleep for 15 years. Installed 1st dedicated Linux Mint Cinnamon Ver 17.3 desktop last night. Great Instructions! One observation is very few sites reference ver 17.3, even the LinuxMint user docs are still 17.2.
One issue was with Bios grub partition in step 6. Then left click on unallocated space, select New and enter the following settings for this partition then click on Add.

1. New size = 20 Mib
  2. File system = Unformatted
  3. Label = Bios Grub
    Upon Step 11 press [Ctrl]+[Enter] keys and hit on Apply pop-up… The File system automatically set itself to NTFS. This just felt wrong… I deleted the entry and redone. Same thing occurred. Still felt wrong for Bios grub so I changed File system to ext4 and it accepted it. Continued with installation and all so far seems fine. Is this CORRECT? I believe it has something to do with my bios. American Megatrends ver 2.61? I didn’t find anything in bios config which allowed me to specify OS to be installed. How will the ext4 for Bios Grub effect system performance and communicating with other windows drives/ files (when I add them)? Also is there any adverse effects or steps to take if I attempt to upgrade my bios?
    Thank you again… Very nice much appreciated!

One thing to note is that Windows OS does not automatically read Linux file systems such as ext4, ext3, ext2 and so on.
In many case, the partition to which grub is installed has to be formated using a MS-DOS file system type such as FAT, FAT32 and NTFS when running Windows and Linux on the same machine.
This will allow Windows operating systems, drivers to work and get detected while choosing an operating system when booting.

Thank you for your response, much appreciated. That makes sense. Should I assume since during the gparted process that the preferred format is NTFS since it defaulted to such? Or is there a consensus on other? I can see using FAT or MS-DOS if you are utilizing older software. I believe I have a work around if others find themselves in this situation. Since this is a dedicated Linux drive… when I add another drive I will make that the master/boot drive there by making the initial boot record useless. Does this make sense