Help changing Desktop for Linux

I’m not sure if I am explaining this right. I have a computer with Linux installed in it and when I log in there is only what seems to be code. I had it working before like normal, like there was icons on the desktop and such, just like a windows computer, but now I can’t seem to figure out how to get it back. please HELP!

@Tracey_Lynn_Rekkenin

Can you send us a screenshot of what you see? You can do that using your mobile phone or any other device - just make sure that it’s visible enough.

Hi, I have re set the password too and now this is what I see when I try to log in

Hmm, I really don’t know. Did you try to update your system? Type:

sudo apt-get update

and hit enter/return.

Then, when it finishes updating, type:

sudo apt-get upgrade

and enter again.

Then try

startx

Or if that doesn’t work

sudo reboot

EDIT: I just saw that you are in tty1. This could mean that somehow you have booted into the text mode. Please try pressing CTRL, ALT and F7 or F5 keys at the same time to go to graphical mode (desktop environment). If that doesn’t help try updating your system from tty1 or typing startx. (dont forget to hit enter)

i think u have went to the text mode , just try pressing CTRL+ALT+ function keys like F1,F2,F3,F4… ex) CTRL+ALT+F2 or CTRL+ALT+F3 etc,it will go to the graphical mode,sure any of the function keys combination will work, or just reboot it

I have tried all of your suggestions, but I cant get it out of text mode

Should I be doing this in recovery mode? or when I am asked for my password?

OK, what do you have now? The same?

Yes, it could be a good idea to boot into recovery mode and try from there. If you haven’t done that before here is a short guide.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode

Thanks Branko for all your help but it is not working, I guess I’ll have to find somewhere to take it in and get it fixed

Yep, that’s right - maybe ask someone who can boot it from the live CD. Anyway, good luck! :blush: