What are some of the most helpful command-line aliases sysadmins use?

Hi everyone,

What are some of the command-line aliases that you use in your daily work as a system administrator?

If you can share them here we can turn this post into a nice source of information for the community on this topic.

For example, in one of our production servers, we use bdf=‘df -h’ to display disk free space in human-readable form.

2 Likes

Great topic @gacanepa

I’m not a sysadmin (hopefully I’ll be one day :four_leaf_clover:) but I often use aliases in my urxvt in i3. The one I use most often (of course) is pacu='sudo pacman -Syu’
It’s a great idea to share aliases - and create a database of useful aliases for sysadmins. :+1:

1 Like

The list here can really go on and on :smile:

For ssh: go=“ssh -p PORT root@$1”
p=“ps auxf”
digoc=“ssh -p Port -i path-to-key user@host” – connects me to a digital ocean server real path user port etc are used instead.
extstore="sshfs -PORT user@host:/path/ /mount-point/ – uses SSHFS to mount SSH partition as my local drive. Can be used on phone as well :wink:
1=“top”
2=“mysqladmin proc”
4=“tail -f LOG”
The rest are a bit sensitive :smiley:

1 Like

Tadaa!

Wow, Henrik! Thanks a million! :smiley:

Off topic: I tried to post the above comment but the system told me that it has to be more than 40 characters. Why do posts have to contain at least 40 characters? Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

Actually I see users posting one liner replies, which is bad for SEO, thats the reason I’ve set to at least 40 characters a post reply should be. This way we can keep this forum with useful content and I hope you all agree with forum rules…

No objections - I just wanted to thank Henrik with a short thank-you note. But ‘40-character rule’ is fine with me. I’ll try to add something every time I post short posts. :wink:

Hi,

alias man=‘man -a -P most’
alias mount=‘mount -v’
alias n=‘nvidia-settings’
alias nload=’ nload -i 100 -o 100 -u k wlan0’
alias perlll=‘eval perl -Mlocal::lib
alias rpmbuild=‘shortrpm’
alias s=‘simpress’
alias simpress=’/opt/openoffice4/program/simpress’
alias soffice=’/opt/openoffice4/program/soffice’
alias swriter=’/opt/openoffice4/program/swriter’
alias u=‘umount /mnt’