What is a run level and what happens in each run level?

Hello members,

I have been using these two commands to halt and reboot my system for sometime and i just realized that i was dealing with run levels in Linux.
The commands are:

To halt system

sudo init 0

To reboot system

sudo init 6

I would like to know the different run levels in Linux and some simple explanation of what happens i the different run levels.

just run command #: init --help to see the manual for help

1 Like

@Louis_Wei

This is the output though needed some explanations about the run levels in a little detail.

Well. The first output line "init [OPTIONS…] {COMMAND} indicates the usage of this command. For now, we don’t have to care about OPTIONS(if you’re interested in it, run man init). Firstly, the command 0 and 6 is your familiar cmd, As you see, init 0 will shutdown the PC, as well as __init 6__will reboot the machine. And the rest, the description is very simple, you should run man init for more detail. That’s all I can tell you, if you’re confused with a new command, try --help for short info, and man it for further understanding.

@aaronkili45

once look at the below link

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/run-levels-intro.html

1 Like

I would like to know the different run levels in Linux and some simple explanation of what happens i the different run levels.

You can run

man init

to look for help data about using ‘init’ yourself, it’s not so much info there :slight_smile: