What is the most funny/interesting thing you found by accident in Linux?

One day while thinking about my encounter with Linux I concluded it was totally an accidental. Later on I found a lots of commands/features accidentally and also wrote a few scripts unintentionally. I believe Every Linux-er journey is different and so is their discovery. Please take a little time to answer the question and let this thread be the place where the accidental experience of every Linux-er is written.

4 Likes

Once upon a time my friend forgot her windows password. I use the Ubuntu live CD for cracking Windows passwords
Its amazing
& especially ntfsfix command, and finding hardware problems are quite useful & this are most interesting thing for me :blush:

5 Likes

:smile: nice

can you share the commands used for cracking

3 Likes

First of all boot your PC by using any linux live media
then open terminal. type below commands
(where the directory is Windows-> System32)

mv Utilman.exe Utilman.bk
 cp cmd.exe Utilman.exe

then restart your PC,
In log in section you will see “Narrator menu”
Click it!
Now you will get cmd prompt.
then type below commands in the cmd prompt

net user username *

It will ask passwd
enter new passwd that’s all

10 Likes

Haha, I don’t use Windows, but I’ll bookmark this! Thanks @Buvanesh_Kumar

3 Likes

You can also hack weak windows password using john,ophcrack tools, without changing it

6 Likes

Interesting thing i always found is, my friends often asked me to clean their flashdisk if they got a ‘Shortcut Virus’ attack. I just simply delete every file that have .ink extension from filemanager :smile:

3 Likes

The top comand :slight_smile: not so dep at all but after nearly 20year Linuxing noticed that i coud kill progams inside top way to go dude… no more kill firefox just top them out inside of top just hit the (k) and kill the program :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi @rizaaal

Is it .ink or .lnk? Is it a Windows extension?

2 Likes

@BrankoTesla
oops i’m sorry. Yes, it’s .lnk. not .ink.

3 Likes

I always like finding new turns. Last night I was running an injection via. PY. media scrpt. seen that it was a little slow when testing// :innocent: :wink: So I went and did a bleachbit delete job hitting my flash files, oops :open_mouth: No problem I tried to update after bleach was finished wiping, Update said need more disk space on the boot to install the updates. Hmm okay seen that I have an old Kernel that needed to be removed KDE update integration for Ubuntu, so to make a fast slash I opened a terminal added the sudo for pepper-flash, terminal then showed me what Kernel(s) and the junk that came with the update that I needed apt-get autoremove then typing y for yes. I did not install the apt-pepper-flash only entered the sudo for exposing the Kernel and junk to remove. Then I opened the update manager and finished/RE started the update that would not install because of low disk space and everything worked fine out with the old in with the new like a charm with no problems.
Oh!
For the grub boot no worries there because it auto configs. when removing the old Kernel and junk. Kinda like prep work, then when running the update manager it finishes the grub so there is no manual config. or stress, and no problems getting back to the desktop after RE-booting.

Of course a purge can be done but I thought it was neat because it worked. Linux is to me a labyrinth that opens many doors for new imagination(s). I love Linux :gift_heart:

I always like finding new turns. Last night I was running an injection via. PY. media scrpt. seen that it was a little slow when testing// innocent wink So I went and did a bleachbit delete job hitting my flash files, oops open_mouth No problem I tried to update after bleach was finished wiping, Update said need more disk space on the boot to install the updates. Hmm okay seen that I have an old Kernel that needed to be removed KDE update integration for Ubuntu, so to make a fast slash I opened a terminal added the sudo for pepper-flash, terminal then showed me what Kernel(s) and the junk that came with the update that I needed apt-get autoremove then typing y for yes. I did not install the apt-pepper-flash only entered the sudo for exposing the Kernel and junk to remove. Then I opened the update manager and finished/RE started the update that would not install because of low disk space and everything worked fine out with the old in with the new like a charm with no problems.
Oh!
For the grub boot no worries there because it auto configs. when removing the old Kernel and junk. Kinda like prep work, then when running the update manager it finishes the grub so there is no manual config. or stress, and no problems getting back to the desktop after RE-booting.

Of course a purge can be done but I thought it was neat because it worked. Linux is to me a labyrinth that opens many doors for new imagination(s). I love Linux gift_heart

2 Likes

as far as accident goes my entire experience with linux has been just that. i was messn around installed a debian iso and said goodbye windows lol :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank u @Buvanesh_Kumar
i will try this …

1 Like

can u explain that tools in detail like how to hack the windows passwords @Raja_Tirupur

john or ophcrack tools to hack weak windows passwords

Please don’t discuss about hacking or password cracking tools, this forum is meant for Linux discussion only…

4 Likes

To me it was rename command - I later found that you have to use mv command to rename files - but initially it took me 6 hours when I was new to linux to accept that mv command can also be used to rename files

Everything is a file in linux underneath.

Once upon a time when I was thinking about how to fix my Windows OS from blue screen. One day I was outside from my house cleaning my yard and suddenly I found a CD. after I know what was the CD about I said:

“I made a discovery today. I found a CD. Wait a second, this is cool (after I installed GNU/Linux OS). It does everything I want it to.”

After two years, I began using Back Track GNU/Linux distribution to hack. And now Kali Linux. Finally to answer your question I found GNU/Linux OS by accident and it was the most funniest/interesting thing because I can do everything I want.

GNU/Linux lover, geek!

1 Like